Friday, January 4, 2013

Welcome to Comm 211x

Greetings! My name is Sara Baker and I am your instructor for Comm 211x. I have been working in the field of communications for about a decade now. I started out working in marketing first for a hospital then for a government contracting firm. After a few years in marketing, I transitioned career paths and began working for the National Communication Association. I enjoyed that  job so much I decided to go back to school and develop my career as a communication instructor, researcher and advocate. 

I received my B.A. in Communication Studies at Virginia Tech. GO HOKIES! 
And then after working for a while I returned to school to start my graduate studies. First, I received my M.A. from San Diego State University










After graduating with my M.A., I came to UNL to work on my PhD in Organizational Communication. 




I have been teaching intercultural communication courses for the past five years beginning first at San Diego State and here at UNL. I am thrilled to be participating in this online classroom experience and I hope that I can be of assistance to each of you as we explore the impact of culture and communication in our everyday lives and in the world around us. 

I would like to welcome you to our class blog. This web site, Blogger.com, will serve as the site for our overall class blog (http://comm211xspring2013.blogspot.com/) and will also be the site where you will post your individual cultural reporter blogs. You will need to subscribe to this blog (http://comm211xspring2013.blogspot.com/) and also set up your own blog for the Cultural Reporter project (yourfirstnamelastnameculturalreporterblogspring2013.blogspot.com). To subscribe to this blog, please email me that email address that you will be using to access Blogger.com. I will send you an invite to join the class blog. To create your cultural reporter blog, log in to Blogger.com and create a new blog. For additional information on both of these assignments please see the syllabus and also the assignment descriptions posted on our class Blackboard page.  


For this first blog, I would like you to introduce yourself to the class. Please answer the following questions to get you started:1) Background information - name, age, major, hometown, experience with online learning; 2) Why intercultural communication? What do you hope to learn?; 3) What are your interests/hobbies?; 4) Post a picture or 2. You could even make a short video introduction.

1 comment:

  1. My best friend is a VT graduate, I was fortunate enough to go to a football game there, and the turkey legs at the stadium are awesome. Very cool background, it sounds like you have had an adventurous path to this point.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.