Friday, January 25, 2013

Bravo Blog #1: What are we doing here?

Music brings people together. I have spent countless hours sitting around a table with people, listening to music, and discussion life. I have discussed specifically how people gathering and conversing over music is a universal cultural event. So many important cultural everywhere in the world are based around a gathering with music playing. Most people do it even when they are traveling around in their car. The specific music playing is certainly dependent upon the group of people joining the gathering; however, I have found it easy for a group of people all coming from different backgrounds can participate in this ritual together. I have personally chosen an influential band most of you (if not all) have heard of before. Pink Floyd created masterpieces everyone around the world can appreciate. The songs I have selected each in their own way say something I only wish I could say.


To me this song represents how I feel about modern life. The first two lines say almost everything that needs to be said.
"Money, get away.
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay."
Money is necessary, but I wish it was not.
 Then he says:
"Money, it's a gas.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash."
Money moves us so take what you can.
"New car, caviar, four star daydream,
Think I'll buy me a football team."
How can I get the things I want?
"Money, get back.
I'm all right Jack keep your hands off of my stack."
I need this to get those things, go get your own.
"Money, it's a hit.
Don't give me that do goody good bullshit."
Everyone loves money, don't act like you don't want it.
"I'm in the high-fidelity first class traveling set
And I think I need a Lear jet."
I live in luxury but I want to live in extravagance.
"Money, it's a crime.
Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie."
Giving me what you have is fine, but taking mine is not.
"Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil today."
What would you do for enough money?
"But if you ask for a raise it's no surprise that they're
giving none away."
Why should they give you more? What have you given them?

One of the highlighted cultures in the world today are the monetarily wealthy. They live excessive lives of luxury. Everything they want they get. I have heard many different responses to wealth from all sides. The father of my friend Vatsa, from India, owns a company that builds factories. If you live in India, have a lot of money, and want to build a factory to build something to sell to the masses you are likely to give him a call. Vatsa grew up in a compound with several houses. One of these houses was the home of the people that took care of the property. Vatsa went to a school in the United States for his B.S. in engineering. I met him while he was working on his masters degree at of the best schools in the world, and arguably the best university in mainland Europe. If you met him, you would never know any of this. I only know because of how close I became to him. He did not think about money at all. He did not care if he had it or not, he just happened to have it. He did not live in excess at all when I lived with him. We lived in some of the cheapest accommodation in Zürich. He did not have a lot of things. What he did have was nice, but he did not spend money unless he needed to. During the first conversation I ever had with Vatsa he said "I hate the United States of America." This hatred was so deep I felt it in my bones when he said that. He and I became close friends over the course of the year we lived together. What do you think he meant when he said he hated America?



The other song I have chosen to share with you is Sheep.
The sheep represent a majority of humanity. They have a pointless existence following the flock. Our common enemy is the dog. We work hard and get little in return while the dogs keep us in line for a little more than we get. While the dog is our enemy, we trust them the most. We take the path the dogs lead us on because they think it will lead us to a utopia. When we get there we discover we are to become bacon. We decide to revolt and do away with the dogs. Even though we have won the battle, we still all share a common fear.
This describes a strict political culture where a small elite group rules all. The people work hard to contribute what they take out of society while building an empire that is not for us. How do the pigs get away with stealing the work of the sheep? You might be asking what this has to do with culture at this point. To me this describes one of the most common experiences in the world. Now stop reading this and get to work!

This is critical studies view of culture. Culture is about the common experiences of humans and how we relate to one another. Through communication we can build bridge to connect ourselves to a common experience of life. Each one of us has a great deal to learn from every single other person. What can you teach me?

Works Cited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhX5W7JoWI "Money" - Pink Floyd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcRYdVlGXNQ  "Sheep" - Pink Floyd

1 comment:

  1. Great inclusion of the videos. I really enjoyed listening to the songs and reading your take on them.

    For future blogs, I would like you to directly engage the text in your blog. For instance, in this blog you can include a definition of culture. You get there in the final paragraph, but you left me wanting to read more of a connection and explanation. Maybe start off with discussing the critical view of culture and use the Pink Floyd songs and your stories to develop this definition.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.