Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Laura Hinton CAPS Blog #1


The artist I have chosen for this assignment is Lady Antebellum. I chose to analyze their  songs because Lady A has been my favorite country band for awhile now. I have seen them multiple times in concert and besides then putting on a great show, their songs range from the fast paced good time songs to the slower songs that talk about love and feelings. It was hard to pick just three songs because I love almost all of their songs. But, the songs I finally chose to analyze are "Can't Take My Eyes Off You", "Just a Kiss", and "I Run to You."



 The biggest pattern I saw in these songs was the desire for love/relationships. All three of these songs talk about how they long for that special someone they want to be with. The songs talk about how that person is the one they choose to go to whether they are having a bad day, or even if they are having a good day and just want to spend time with that other person. I think most of us desire to have a relationship where we can talk about anything, and always have someone there for us no matter what. That's what Lady A is talking about in these songs.

Another pattern I found was opening up to another person. Two of these songs (Can't Take My Eyes Off You and Just a Kiss) come right out and say that it's hard for this person to open up and share their feelings with someone else. I can relate to this, because I don't always open up very easily (like with this assignment) and let others in. I think this is something that's hard for people to do, especially after they've been hurt.

And the last pattern I found was how they tell a story through their lyrics. All three of these songs are slow and have lyrics that just hit you when you listen to them. The lyrics are meaningful and most of the time, you can relate in one way or the other. These three songs have meaning for the people in the group singing them, and you can feel that when you listen to the songs. When you can tell that the people singing have such a connection to the words, you know it's something special.

I feel that culture is something that is deeply felt. The way you feel when you are with people defines culture in my opinion. Sometimes, you are with someone who was raised in a different culture and you have more meaningful communication/feel more comfortable with them than you do someone who was raised in the same culture. People who value the same things are more likely to have a deeper connection.

Works Cited:
 
Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Lady Antebellum (w/ lyrics) - YouTube. (n.d.).YouTube. Retrieved January 24, 2013, from http://youtu.be/-sMw6E8EgcI

Lady Antebellum - I Run To You - YouTube. (n.d.). YouTube. Retrieved January 24, 2013, from http://youtu.be/Rs38lKxmtI4

Lady Antebellum - Just A Kiss - YouTube. (n.d.). YouTube. Retrieved January 24, 2013, from http://youtu.be/v_yTphvyiPU

LADY ANTEBELLUM LYRICS - Just A Kiss. (n.d.). A-Z Lyrics Universe. Retrieved January 24, 2013, from  http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/ladyantebellum/justakiss.html

LADY ANTEBELLUM LYRICS - I Run To You. (n.d.). A-Z Lyrics Universe. Retrieved January 24, 2013, from http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/ladyantebellum/iruntoyou.html

LADY ANTEBELLUM LYRICS - Can't Take My Eyes Off You. (n.d.). A-Z Lyrics Universe. Retrieved January 24, 2013, from http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/ladyantebellum/canttakemyeyesoffyou.html

3 comments:

  1. I like Lady Antebellum so I enjoyed this blog post. The patterns you found in their songs really describe their culture. I like at the end when you said, "The way you feel when you are with people defines culture in my opinion." I have never thought about it that way, but I like that. I agree that culture is something that is deeply felt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite Lady A songs is "Dancin' Away With My Heart". I just love the feeling of the song, slow dancing with someone you have a "crush" on, the moment that he finally gets the courage up to ask and you secretly wishing the song would never end. It has such a sweet vulnerability about it. And I completely agree with how difficult some of these assignments are, because I feel like you have to be so open about your beliefs, personality, and values.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! I like that you included the videos to bring the theme to life. I like where you were going with the final paragraph. Expand on this in future blogs. Make a very explicit connection between the application and the text. Cite the text in your blog to back up your points.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.