It doesn’t matter where you’re from, what your background is, or where you’re going in the future, the simple fact remains that humans are connected by music. History has shown that music is not only something to listen to but rather a way to be intertwined with other people and various cultures. The musical group that I chose for this project is Florida Georgia Line, an up-and-coming country band. The songs that I analyzed were Cruise, Round Here, and It’z Just What We Do. I chose to analyze these particular songs due to the fact that they are some of the newer songs from this band as well as the fact that they are some of my favorite. The way in which I analyzed these songs were both from the interpretive perspective and the critical perspective. The interpretive perspective is viewing society, in some occasions a specific culture, as being taught or educated. This perspective focuses on “Contextual patters of communication behavior” (Martin & Nakayama, 2012, p. 91). What this means is rather than being related to a perception by an entire group the view of this culture heavily relies on the appropriate relative setting. Conversely, a critical perspective shares both a view on culture as a group and encompassing cultural limitations that otherwise may exclude some aspects in other areas.
There were
quite a few similarities as I looked at the lyrics between these three
songs. First of all, it is clearly
evident that this is a country band. Not
only by listening to the songs can anyone decipher this, but the lyrics visibly
reflect their genre. Not every artist
sings about driving a truck through a farm town; however this is a portion of
the perspective in this artists’ songs. A second theme that all the songs have in
common is the central focus is having a good time. Whether it is driving in the summer with the
windows down or enjoying your Saturday night, all of the songs encompass in
some way the idea of having a good time.
Further, a third theme in all three songs is analogous to the critical perspective
in the idea that fun is ever-changing.
Wherever a group of people are at may depend on the activities they do
to have fun; however it also depends on the culture of the group and those that
make up the group. I think this is an
underlying message in between the lines for these songs. Moreover, I think that my cultural connection
to in conjunction to this music is quite interesting. This results from rarely spending time in the
country yet I still can connect with this music from the times I have been in
the country. It is so peaceful, quite, and
relaxing that it’s incredibly enjoyable.
I
think both of these perspectives are useful in their own respective situations
and everything can be analyzed in either perspective. However, I think that for these to be
improved there has to be a common ground between shared and learned culture, as
viewed in interpretive perspectives, and conflictual nature of cultural
boundaries. (Martin & Nakayama, 2012, pp. 91,94). I believe that combining these two perspectives
has its advantages. With that being said
I also believe that the interpretive perspective and ethnography has more
strength of an argument than being critical. I believe this because being critical
in too focused on individuals, especially when we single out certain
individuals. I believe a cultural view
more adequately articulates the connection between culture and communication
because it is more focused on a society as a whole rather than a few specific
people in a culture.
References
Martin, J.N., & Nakayama, T.K.
(2012). Intercultural communication in
contexts (6th ed). Boston,
MA: Mcgraw Hill
FlaGeorgiaLineVEVO. (August 29, 2012) Florida Georgia Line - Cruise. Retrieved from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PvebsWcpto
FlaGeorgiaLineVEVO. (August 29, 2012) Florida Georgia Line - Cruise. Retrieved from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PvebsWcpto

Good choice of band to use. There new cd is pretty legit. If you ever get a chance to see them in concert, do it. For sure. They were really good.
ReplyDeleteGreat blog and choice of music. I also enjoy these guys. Havent been lucky enough to see them in concert yet but hopefully i will some day!!
ReplyDeleteThis song is one of my favorites from them because it's so happy and upbeat! Great choice in music!
ReplyDeleteGreat work! This is exactly what I am looking for with the blog posts.
ReplyDelete