I went to their concert as a senior in high school. It was one of the most amazing things I have experienced. The way the crowd came together was unlike any concert I had ever been to before. There was so much love and passion in the crowd. God was there. "By Your Side" focuses on how God will never leave you. The lyrics are very repetitive but I believe there is a purpose to that. It reinforces over and over again that God will not leave you. That He will be with you always, by your side, whenever you need Him.
"Healing Begins" is about owning up to your mistakes. It's about finally realizing that you can't be your own god. It's about finally letting your own arrogance and pride die and letting God in. As a very prideful person, this has been something I have really struggled with. The beautiful thing about music is that songs can mean different things for different people. Depending on what you need to hear at any given time can completely change what you get out of a song. Music has the power to lift you up or pull you down. Tenth Avenue North's music is very powerful. While convicting and challenging at times it also can completely revive a person.
"Times" is a song that I am very emotionally connected to. Like the others it's focus is that God will never leave you. He is with you all the time. Through the confusion, chaos and pain, in your sorrow and under the weight of your shame he is there. It talks about how he doesn't care where we've been. He will still be there with open arms, even when we doubt and question him. This is what keeps me going and this song is a reminder of that. All of Tenth Avenue North's songs remind me how much I am loved and how much I should love other people.
Lyrics:
By Your Side
Healing Begins
Times
Works cited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwH0Dnom5DY - "Times" - Tenth Avenue North
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe1yKciSlT4 - "Healing Begins" - Tenth Avenue North
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHgNCj4DU_M - "By Your Side" - Tenth Avenue North
Great inclusion of the music videos. I really enjoyed watching them and reading your analysis of their meaning.
ReplyDeleteFor future blogs, I would like to see you incorporate the text. Use it to define key terms, present research findings, etc. Also make sure you directly address the blog prompt and answer all of the questions. I was curious to know your thoughts on whether your favorite music artist describes culture as deeply felt or a contested zone. My take is deeply felt, but make sure you are clear about that.