"No Matter How Far In Life You Go, Don't Ever Forget Home"
Recently I was talking to a family friend about my future plans after graduation. She was wondering where I was looking for jobs.... was I staying "around" or going away to "far off places". I kindly pointed out to her that at the moment I had no idea, there were a few places I was looking at applying if a position opened up, but really I was open to anywhere that would offer me a great start. I'm not picky as the thought of my student loans makes me want to crawl into the corner and sob in the fetal position. Does it do that to everyone or just me? Anyway.... her question made me think about something that I have been putting off for 4 years now: Am I really willing to move away (possibly permanently) from my home and family? They are two of the most important things in my life, but I have always considered myself a dreamer. I love to travel and experience new things, but as May approaches I find myself wondering if my dream job came and knocked on my door, would I open it or just peak through the window at what could have been.
I have always loved Jason Aldean's music.... I went to one of his first concerts (just after Hicktown was released) with one of my best friends Bree! Over 8 years ago... Yikes! Yes... I know some of you are probably like, "Blah... Country music all they sing about is broken hearts, dogs, and trucks" which is all very true, but there are more to the songs than that (like Luke Bryan singing about shakin it'.... because I thoroughly enjoy that!) Haha. No I'm just kidding. What I love most about his music is how relatable it is to me and my life. The three songs I chose to look at for this blog were "Fly Over States", "Amarillo Sky", and "Church Pew or Barstool". I decided to analyze these songs mostly to see if I could gain insight on what I should do with my life in the next few months.
When I first heard "Fly Over States" it was a warm summer evening, I had been down to check our cows out on pasture and was standing outside my truck watching the beautiful sunset and the song come on over the radio. Cliche... I know! But I remember in that moment how true the song was to me and the pride I felt to "understand why God made those fly over states". This song to me oozes with interpretive perspective, in that these "patterns that are deeply felt are sensed collectively by members of the cultural group" (Martin & Nakayama, 2012, pp. 92). I truly believe that only people who have experienced those moments like I have of realizing God's beauty in the land can relate.
"Amarillo Sky" to me has a different theme. It shows the other side of being in agriculture and living in the county and how hard or difficult it can be. The line in the song that is almost haunting to me is "But please don't let my dreams run dry... Underneath, underneath this Amarillo sky." I believe in your lifetime there will be multiple times where you are faced with challenges and wonder if you made the right choices and if you are on the correct path. It is a conflicting position to be in, but no one really knows the truth.
The same kind of theme can be said for Aldean's "Church Pew or Barstool". The lines "These big town dreams that I've been chasing will never come true if I wind up staying" have meant something to me multiple times. Is staying where I am "comfortable" the best decision for me in the long run, or do I need to spread my wings and go for something different?
The last two songs show a more critical perspective. They show that at some points in your life you can be happy/proud of the culture you come from, but at the same time also have doubts about if it is the right thing for you to be doing.
When experiencing a new culture it can have both a interpretive and a critical perspective. There have been times I have been so enveloped by a feeling of passion for a culture I think of them as no different than me, but at other times I was put into a more uncomfortable position. In those moments it is easy to have inner conflict about a culture that is different from your own. The important thing is to recognize it and try to keep as open to communication as possible and try to learn to appreciate the differences.
Deep down I think that I realize if I don't take a leap of faith now in my life and get out and experience new cultures, ideas, and ways of living I will never know what "may have been". I don't want to live my life asking "what ifs". I can be proud of where I come from and carry that culture where my life leads me. Like the line that led off my blog "no matter how far in life you go, don't ever forget home". I won't ever forget home, but that doesn't mean I can't expand on the term of what home is to me.
Has anyone else in class had this personal conflict? What did you do?
References:
Jason Aldean. (2009, October 25). Jason Aldean- Amarillo Sky [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc823UD0LeU
Jason Aldean. (2012, March 23). Jason Aldean- Fly Over States [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1GZzucDMlQ
Martin, J. N., & Nakayama, T. K. (2012). Intercultural communication in contexts (6th ed). Boston, MA: McGraw Hill.
Rae, C. (2010, November 30). Church Pew or Bar Stool By: Jason Aldean [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGkcgnImZ8Q
I like your choice of connection, Jason Aldean is pretty great! I get the same feeling from some friends on how country is sad and all about hicks and so forth; however, I agree a lot with what you said and the connection it makes. Country music always makes me appreciate everything I have around me and the idea of coming from a small town. I too often ponder if I want to go far away or stay closer to family because of it! I like how you tied in that it shows deeply sensed feelings and how it can connect with memories, future decisions, and life challenges.
ReplyDeleteGreat blog! I like that you integrated concepts and definitions from the text along with a rich description of the music. I also really enjoyed the personal approach that you took with this and your writing style. I can definitely relate to your sentiment in the opening statement and I too fear the student loans! Keep it up with that blend of personality with the text and application.
ReplyDelete