Many of the posts below this one assert that music is something universal-- an art we can all enjoy or relate to in some form or another. I disagree.
In fact, I've got to admit: this assignment was complicated for me because I don't have a favorite band or any band or musician that I listen to regularly. In fact, music has never been a significant part of my life. My parents tried to encourage me to play the piano and a couple of other instruments as a child but I never picked it up or enjoyed it, nor do I ever particularly feel the need to listen to any song more than once. I don't know more than one song from most artists - if I can even name the musician/band. When I do listen to music, it is generally meaningless to me: I probably heard it on the radio or TV when I was paying more attention to something else.
In short, I'm the guy that tells the people singing in the car to shut it.
That's why I suspect I'll be taking a slightly different approach. These lyrics have no personal significance for me; they're just words on a sheet and in a song, but that doesn't mean they don't provide some insight into culture. I've selected two politically charged songs from a group called Flobots: Rise and Handlebars. In both, the theme of justice (social, economic and otherwise) are discussed in many ways.
We'll start by looking at Rise.
Make a new street
Build a new bridge
Say can you see by the dawns early light
Free slaves running
Songs words weren't right
This passage is particularly interesting because it alludes to certain aspects of nationalistic culture. I'm sure the rest of you can spot which part of this lyric alludes to the US national anthem. This particular practice -- alluding to a sense of nationalism or national unity -- is prototypically used in a much less subversive way than what Flobots are doing here (think country music or that "I'm Proud to be an American" song). The argument coming across in Rise is quite the opposite--the juxtaposition of the national anthem with slavery serves as a reminder of some of the bloodier building blocks of the United States, contributing to the theme of injustice/oppression. The use of the word "free" in this instance appears to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek because slaves aren't free. ("Freed" implies a former slave; a "free slave" is someone who has their freedom but is still a slave, perhaps because of social injustice or a lack of privilege.
This theme continues on in many of their other songs--let's look at Handlebars next. The video will help reinforce the song's message, so I strongly recommend viewing it.
The song starts off with a relatively whimsical tone. Normally I'm the first one to discount the importance of listening to the music first if you're trying to decode the lyrics, but I'd recommend giving this one a listen once before you think about what it is saying because the argument the song is making is performed, not stated. It begins with something innocent: "I can ride my bike with no handlebars / No handlebars, no handlebars." but with each verse, the abilities of the speaker more fully develop. He starts off being able to do-si-do, scratch a record, etc., but as his talents progress the speaker notes:
‘Cause I can lead a nation with a microphone
With a microphone, with a microphone
And I can split the atom of a molecule
Of a molecule, of a molecule
which is quite a departure from the relative innocence displayed at the beginning of the song. By the end:
And I can end the planet in a holocaust
In a holocaust (x5)
***
The argument being made, then, is one about human creativity and ingenuity--it can be used for fun, beauty, technical advancement, art, education as well as manipulation, fascism, and oppression. More significantly, fascism and violence can rise from innocence. If "Rise" looks to the theme of injustice and oppression from the perspective of those seeking to overcome it, "Handlebars" addresses the issue from the other end: the rise of violence, fascism and injustice. Flobots don't take a stance on why human creativity results in violence though I suspect they'd argue that greed and ambition play a role, particularly when considering divisions on the basis of class.
***
As for me, I'm rather lucky, culturally speaking. I'm a white male and therefore benefit from privilege at almost every institutional level. I'll note the this does not give me a full understanding of injustice and oppression in society because of my relatively privileged majority status. However, the critical perspective provides some insight into communication and culture in this instance, even for someone coming from a position of privilege. In this context, the "contested zone" of culture is the issue of power and to whom it belongs or ought to belong. "Rise" is a song in opposition to the dominant power structure- return again to the juxtaposition "free slaves," which is a direct assertion that even freedom isn't a guarantee of power or even sovereignty. This is the contested zone. In "Handlebars," the contested zone is the idea of human creativity and ingenuity fostering either innocence or destruction. While neither song is indicative of one individual culture, they contain unifying themes about overthrowing the dominant power structure--an issue addressed most effectively through a critical perspective.
***
References
Flobots. (2008). Flobots - Rise. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvVO6Y-3CM8
Flobots. (2008). Flobots - Handlebars. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLUX0y4EptA
Martin, J. N., & Nakayama, T. K. (2012). Intercultural communication in contexts (6th ed). Boston, MA: McGraw Hill.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog. Being a music major and a life long lover of music I find your total indifference to it fascinating. I also agree with your analysis of Flobot's music. Handlebars is my favorite song of theirs not only for their well thought out lyrics but also their music performance. The singer uses a combination of lyrics and vocal tone to convey a darker intent even when saying innocent words. I appreciate your honesty in regards to your position in the majority and acknowledgement that research into other cultural groups does not make you an expert at it. It's great to meet someone who isn't a know - it - all. :)
ReplyDeleteThe first day I met my random roommate freshman year we drove up to Omaha and saw Flobots live. Definitely an interesting experience. This trip lead to us driving around north Omaha for a while before we realized we were no where near the venue. It was an interesting way to meet someone for the first time. Handlebars is definitely a song that can move you. I can definitely understand how you feel about music. I rarely listen to music by myself, but rather am always with others while listening. This was a hard assignment for me too, I am more a fan of purely instrumental music. I rarely listen to the lyrics in songs.
ReplyDeleteGreat approach to the blog! I really enjoyed reading your analysis and watching the videos to gain perspective on the application. You have a great writing style that is very engaging.
ReplyDeleteYou cited the text at the end of the blog but not in the text itself. Make sure you do both in future blogs. Use the text to define, quote, or paraphrase the concept.