Have you ever met
anyone that doesn’t like music? Sure there are people that do not like certain
kinds of music but there probably isn’t a person on Earth that doesn’t like
some sort of music. Music speaks to the soul, it gets you up out of your chair
and makes you dance. Music can lighten your mood or bring up memories from the
past. It was not easy choosing just one band to analyze but I have really come
to enjoy 5 for fighting. For one, their lead singer is a professional hockey
player (You get a 5 minute penalty for fighting in hockey, get it?). I thought
this was pretty interesting that someone is that multitalented. A few of their
songs I will be analyzing are “Superman”, “100 years”, and “Story of your life”.
I chose these songs because although they don’t exactly describe my life they
do have bits in pieces that I can apply my own life to.
For the most part,
many of 5 for fighting’s songs are about life and how you handle what is thrown
at you during it. Life is not always easy and sometimes people are misguided,
something that I can relate to, and I feel that these songs really address that
issue. One of my favorite lines from the song “Superman” goes, “Men weren’t meant
to ride with clouds between their knees, I’m only a man, no funny red sheet”. I
really like this line because I feel like sometimes I try to out due myself and
take on more than I can handle. Sometimes, I try to do too much when really I should
stop trying to impress or appease others and do what makes me happy. None of us
are Superman! The next song, “100 Years” is just all around great. Being two weeks
away from turning 21 (WOOHOO!!) I know that life flies by already. Although I
am not 40-50 yet, I already understand what my elders are talking about when
they say life goes by fast. This song is great because I always discuss with my
friends how fast time is already flying by, and how it seemed like yesterday we
were in middle school. I think almost everyone can relate to this feeling, but
the moral of the song is to not let life fly by without enjoying it. “15… There’s
never a wish, better than this… when you’ve only got 100 years to live” Is a
great line because it really embodies the fact that you should dream big
because we only have a limited number of days. The third and final song that I chose
to analyze is their song “Story of your life”. The title says it all basically,
and the line that I enjoy is “It’s the story of your life, tearing out a page
new chapter on the way”. I came to UNL looking to get away from the town I’m
from, which although upscale, has a major drug problem and many of my friends
were getting involved in the sorts. As a whole, Five for Fighting’s songs deal
with looking at your life in a different way. Culturally, I think this is
universal. They’re not a country band that only appeals to American ideals, or
a rapper that appeals to only life on the streets but have a much more
wholesome approach. I think that basically anybody can apply these songs to
their own life no matter your race, nationality, or gender.
I think that Five
for Fighting’s music can really impact you no matter what culture you are from.
Not only their music but all music, I would have never guessed that I would be
a fan when I first heard them. The broad topics of their music can apply to any
ethnic group or culture for the most part. Each person’s view of culture is different
as well, as some may define it differently than others. Personally I think that
culture is about your moral values, how you approach life, and the people you
are surrounded by .
Works Cited
No editors name
given. FIVE FOR FIGHTING – STORY OF YOUR LIFE. Retrieved 1/23/13 http://www.metrolyrics.com/story-of-your-life-lyrics-five-for-fighting.html
CheeZeCakeLOL. 100
years – Five for Fighting (lyrics). Retrieved 1/23/13 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2WGGNiC8f4
I liked your last statement about how our culture is the way you approach life and the people we are surrounded by. I think this is true because to a certain extent, as we grow older, we get to choose what and who our culture entails.
ReplyDeleteI loved this song and how you interpreted it. This song really emphasizes how our choices change with age, culture, and perspective.
ReplyDeleteOff to a good start with the blogs. I like that you included the video at the end. Think about how you can integrate this into the blog more often. Bring in visuals to enhance your points. Also, think about how you can provide more paragraph structure to organizing the content. Make sure you are explicitly answering the questions from the blog prompt and connecting the application to course concepts citing these in the blog.
ReplyDelete