“Mind on a permanent vacation, The Ocean is my only
medication, Wishing my condition ain’t ever gonna go away.” This quote is apart of one of my favorite
songs, which is “Knee Deep” by Zac Brown Band.
The other songs I decided to analyze along with this song are “Chicken
Fried” and “Free.” I chose these songs because they are some of my favorites
and I’m going to a Zac Brown Band concert next month so I thought it would
interesting to see what I could learn about this band. Music is an important part of a person’s
culture. For example, when I get
stressed music is my outlet to get away from it all. I analyzed these songs from the interpretive
perspective and the critical perspective.
When
looking at the interpretive perspective, I found that Zac Brown Band portrays
themselves as a laid back group of people that like to talk about the people
they love, getting away from the worries of the world, and having a good
time. In other words this is their
avowal
(Martin & Nakayama, 2012). I think that most of this is
taught from their parents and other people in the South so this goes along with
the interpretive perspective. When
looking at the critical perspective, I think that people could misunderstand
Zac Brown Band because they come from the South so they have a very different
culture from people that aren’t from the South. For example, in “Chicken Fried”
it talks about drinking beer, fried chicken, the sunrise, and things that
people from the South might find more important than other people.
A pattern
that I have found in these songs is that they don’t care about things in life
that some people find important. For
example, in “Chicken Fried” they say “And its funny how it’s the simple things
in life that mean the most, Not where you live, what you drive, or the price
tag on your clothes. There’ no dollar sign on a piece of mind this I’ve come to
know.” Another pattern I found in these
songs is that in each of them they talk about spending time with the people
they love. I think the reason I connect
to these songs is because I love spending time with my family and I care most
about the little things in life rather than money and things such as that.
I think
that cultural ethnography more accurately describes the connection between
culture and communication. I believe
this because this analyzes verbal and nonverbal communication that is
significant to the people apart of that culture in order to understand the
patterns of that cultural group so it’s more about the culture as a group
rather than as culture as contested zones
(Martin & Nakayama, 2012).
Works Cited:
Martin, J., & Nakayama, T. (2012). Intercultural communication in contexts. (6th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
Martin, J., & Nakayama, T. (2012). Intercultural communication in contexts. (6th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
Zac Brown Band. (2011, June 29). World premiere video: "knee deep" feat. jimmy buffett. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n5G0qFBsHM
Zac Brown Band. (2008, November 6). Zac brown band-chicken fried. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4ujS1er1r0
The Zac Brown Band seems to have a good grasp on the important things in life. According to your Blog they emphasize the positive, the simple, the irreplaceable people which we all know and is an excellent way to live. I am actually moved to listen this band now. I also completely agree that music is important to culture. I honestly cannot think of a culture that does not have some kind of music and that is saying a lot. - Helen Mildish
ReplyDeleteI love Zac Brown Band, chicken fried reminds me of a day wandering around with my buddy when we were supposed to be practicing Land navigation and singing that song. I think it is very representative of the values you attributed, especially family and the simple things.
ReplyDeleteFirst off... I am SUPER jealous of you going to one of their concerts! I am sure it will be great. One of my favorite Zac Brown Band songs is "Whatever It Is". It also somewhat goes along with the theme of a simple life. He doesn't just love her for one reason, but rather all that she is. It is a great thought, he is simply in love with her.
ReplyDeleteGreat work incorporating the text with your music application. I like how you organized your paragraphs and structured the blog overall. I also liked that you included the videos as well!
ReplyDelete