Wednesday, January 9, 2013

About Me: Chanda Scheuring





Hi! I am Chanda Scheuring. I plan on graduating in May with a degree in Agriculture Business and a second degree in Animal Science with a minor in International Agriculture. As you might assume by my choice in majors, I grew up on a small family farm in southwest Iowa outside a town called Defiance. My family raises corn, soybeans, alfalfa, and cattle.

Completing two majors in four years has required me to take my fair share of online classes due to scheduling. I enjoy the "spare time" they give me, but I am usually a procrastinator and put off assignments, tests, etc until the last moment.
 
I am really excited about the blogging experience we will be getting in this class, as I have been tossing around the idea of starting my own for a while now. I guess this will be good practice to see if I enjoy it and/or people even read it! I will confess though I never have felt like a very tech savvy person, so the whole concept of doing videos makes me cringe. I may need tons of help from the rest of the class when those projects come along. 
 
As I mentioned above, I am also pursuing a minor in International Agriculture and thought this class would work well with my interests. I have always wanted to travel the world, to explore places that I had dreamed about and immerse myself into other cultures. At this point in my life I only have two stamps in my passport. A trip to the Bahamas with one of my best friend's family, which was definitely more of a tourist trip then a "get to know another culture" experience. But last year I had the opportunity to "go abroad" to New Zealand and study agriculture. It was a trip of a lifetime. I never wanted to leave (especially when it was summer there and winter back home). But it wasn't all work. I went white water rafting, glacier hiking, whale watching, learned how to play rugby, and even experienced a few earthquakes!

A before white water rafting "jump shot". I'm the second from the right!

Agriculture is a global industry. It is important to learn about other cultures and how farmers can continue to feed the growing population of the world. It is something I have a great passion in and look forward to seeing what my future holds. 

  As for interests and hobbies, I have quite a few. I absolutely LOVE football, especially Husker football. I usually go into a state of mourning in the off season. Okay so maybe not that extreme, but fall is definitely the easier semester because I can look forward to football Saturday at Memorial Stadium. I was in dance for 13 years and a member of numerous competition teams throughout middle and high school. I don't dance competitively anymore, but I have fun with friends going to different places around town to "cut a rug". One of my greatest joys is being able to make others laugh. I am by no means a comedian, but I don't mind doing funny/silly/stupid things in order to lighten a friends mood. Just ask those who went on the road trip to the Big Ten Championship game with me. Two words: Disney, Karaoke!

My favorite kind of movies are westerns, but I am a girl so of course great romantic comedies are at the top of the list too. I also enjoy cooking and baking for family and friends. And I have to confess, I am an Instagram junkie and enjoy taking and "editing" photos.
Wow! I really rambled, sorry about that and the overload of pictures. Now that it seems you all know my life story, I look forward to meeting and learning about the rest of you in the class. 


2 comments:

  1. Two majors in 4 years is very time consuming! I have one major and two minors which I thought was time consuming, but I can't even imagine 2 majors! That's awesome that you're going to graduate on time and I enjoyed reading your blog post. I also love football!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the class! I love all the photos and details that you provided. That's what I'm looking for with these assignments. Oh and your love of Instragm should definitely come in handy with the blogs and videos. In terms of the videos, definitely come see me with any questions that you might have. I use Adobe Connect for this class and it is very user friendly. Happy to discuss your options!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.