Helen Sukis (Mildish)
I am United States Navy Disabled Veteran, a mother once bereaved, a video gamer, a cook, a do-it-yourselfer, and music lover who goes by the name Helen Sukis (Mildish). I try to avoid taking myself too seriously, there are plenty of other things in my life that require that kind of concentration.
At 31 years years old I have finally decided to follow my passion for music; my audition for UNL’s School of Music is Saturday January 19th. I am deeply terrified as well as excited. My current major is Communications, and my hope is to get my Masters focused on how Communications and Music are connected. But I digress, I need to finish my Bachelors first.
I am a bit of a gypsy; moving at will, enjoying a wide variety of jobs, and meeting people. America is a melting pot of cultures, I want to experience them and contribute to improving American Society. My goal is to NOT tolerate people from other cultures, but instead embrace and accept their ideas and ideals. Respect and appreciation are my stepping stones to effective communication, but I want to see what COM 211X can add to that.
In my free time I do what any woman in her 30’s does... play video games! I love pwning some noobs in RPG’s or making my lvl 85 warlock look terrifying in killer armor. Yes, I am aware of how dorky I sound, but I wave my dork flag with pride. Other hobbies include singing Opera, R&B, and Pop music. In 2012 I bought a house and spend my days stalking Pinterest for awesome DIY (do-it-yourself) home decor, or recipes for foods I have never tried before.
Recently, my daughter passed away. I try to spend my days focusing on how much she changed my life in a positive way, being thankful for who I do have in the my life, but anyone who has experienced grief can tell you that is a struggle.
That’s me in a nutshell.


Welcome to the class! Best of luck on your upcoming auditions tomorrow! What instrument do you play? Also, I really appreciate your comment regarding respect for other cultures. That's what it's all about. Week 1 and you already have the central theme of this class down:-) I look forward to working with you this semester!
ReplyDelete