Hello everyone! My name is Anna
Ehlers and I am an English major (with anthropology and global security studies
minors) at UNL. I am 24 (I turn 25 during finals week, Yay lower insurance!)
and originally from the small town of Cody Wyoming (also known as a scenic
tourist trap, just outside of Yellowstone national park.)My parents still live
there and my brother recently moved back to work for the sheriffs department. I
have very little online learning experience and honestly really prefer the
classroom environment however course scheduling pinned me down to the online
version of this course. I have spent most of today (Monday) confused and trying
to figure it all out. I believe at this point that I have a grip on the format,
although it is a loose one.
I am taking
this course for my GSST minor out of a pretty decent list of options because I
thing it is the most applicable to the real world. I believe the world is
moving toward a far more global environment and that interaction with multiple
cultural identities is becoming increasingly the norm. While it is possible to
live with little intercultural interaction it is definitely not something I am
interested in. That being said, I need to have an understanding of how to look
at another group that differs from me and engage their perspective and be aware
of the way my cultural biases taint my perceptions and interactions with
various groups of people. I really learned a lesson in that while deployed to
Afghanistan and working with local national men women and children and
providing them medical care as well as a source to air grievances. I went into
the experience rather biased as to what I expected the people to be like and
had my mind blown by the kindness and friendships I built with some of the
people I encountered. It really shifted my view of myself and made me question
if I was guilty of wrongfully stereotyping, labeling, and being prejudiced
against people based on limited knowledge. Hopefully I will gain insight to
better my own interactions and be more prepared to deal with unfamiliar worlds.
As far as
interests and hobbies go I am pretty varied. I have taken an interest in
politics especially international politics and human rights issues. I also get
pretty excited about human history, development, evolution etc. (hence the
anthropology minor.) I am above all a book worm and have a constant need to
find something new to read or write about and really enjoy gathering a random
and extensive library both in my home office and on my kindle. Crossfit is
definitely my health salvation and I try and go to a workout 4-5 times a week,
and have been eating and learning to cook based on the paleo diet that many
Crossfitters follow for the past 8 months. I miss pasta and bread but I think I
am surviving just fine without refined sugars and grains. I have a Boxer named
Stella, who will be a year old in February and she is the worlds best dog (but
kinda stinky; she casually farts all the time with NO SHAME) and live with my
boyfriend who has a prissy but cute Whippet named Vanna. They are best friends
and look like quite the mismatched pair when they are together. I, as alluded
to above, am a member of the Nebraska army national guard, as a Medic and
radiology tech and deployed to Afghansitan for the duration of 2011. In
addition I have had the fortune of living in San Antonio, Texas and Washington
D.C. both as military assignments and loved them both.
![]() |
| At a wedding |
| teaching a class on hygiene with the help of my interpreter in afghanistan |

You've had some impressive experiences! I was struck by you response to your time in Afghanistan. I had similar feelings when I worked for an Israeli man for 6 years. I had some preconceived ideas about what people from the Middle East were like, but his family really wowed me by their hospitality and openness.
ReplyDeleteMy family and I got stuck in the "scenic tourist trap" that you refer to as Cody on the way back home from vacationing in Jackson Hole and Yellowstone a couple of summers ago. I loved it and want to go back soon! Also thank you for your service to this country. I have had a couple cousins that served in Afghanistan and they relayed some of the same sentiments you did as to the people and how kind they were.
ReplyDelete