“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.”
― Albert Einstein
― Albert Einstein
I came into this blog thinking that I had a good grasp on what it takes to define what music means to me and be able to accurately analyze lyrics from a selected artists songs. But, as I am sitting down to do this task, I am realizing that it is harder than I originally anticipated. One of the things I cannot go a day without is music. Whether it be me wandering around campus aimlessly while listening to my artist of the day, punishing my ear drums with my workout mix while I am trying to get through my workout, or just driving home at the end of the day, music is what takes my mind off of the rest of the world and what keeps me sane. I found it very difficult to pick out an artist to use for this blog, but, after much deliberation I have decided to analyze the lyrics of The Turnpike Troubadours. Turnpike Troubadours are considered to be a "Red Dirt Country" group, which basically means they got their start down South in Texas or Oklahoma. I chose to analyze the lyrics of their songs; 7 & 7, Long Hot Summer Days, Before the Devil Knows We're Dead and Gin, Smoke & Lies. It is hard for me to say that these guys are my "favorite" artists, but, in the past month or so, they are the songs that I have listened to the most.Like most other country songs, the pattern for this groups music deals around drinking and chasing women, which just so happens to fit in well with my life, haha. Again, like most bands, they have their songs that are slow and sad that are meant to tell a story and then they have the upbeat and fast paced songs that are meant to lift you up. One of the things that this group focuses on is to enjoy life as it is and enjoy yourself in the moment. One of my favorite lines from their songs comes from their song "Before the Devil Knows We're Dead'; it goes, "Well raise another round boys and have another glass. Be thankful for today knowing it will never last. Still let's leave the world laughing when our eulogies are read" I like this part of the song just because of the message it leaves, live your life in a way that people are going to be remembering all of the goofy and stupid stuff you did throughout your life, have an exciting and memorable life that people will remember and laugh about long after you are gone from this world.
Another focus this group has is based on trying to keep their significant other happy. Companionship is one of the most important things in a person's life, the strive to love and be loved back. It is a big factor in today's society and culture, you are expected to have someone to call yours. Throughout this never ending quest to find ones significant other, the normal human being stumbles upon their fair share of mishaps and heartbreaks that go along with it. Throughout their songs, they talk about how time changes and the realization that it was so easy to love someone along the way through your life but as life goes on they "aint nothing but an interstate day dream." Time changes and people changes and that is all a part of the everyday lifestyle and culture that is modern day society.
Culture is a very difficult thing to define because of the vast differences of society and culture throughout the world. Raymond Williams, a British author, in 1984 wrote "..this very complexity indicates the many ways in which it (culture) influences intercultural communication (Martin & Nakayama, 2012, p. 188). How we think about a certain culture can influence our opinion on a selected group which can influence our opinions on many things about that culture, their food, customs, music, and so on can be influenced by our interpretation of that culture. I believe that the cultural ethnographies framework better expresses the connection between culture and communication. I think our views on culture are more based on what we have learned and been involved in. Our upbringing is one of the most influential things in our life and shapes us in a way that defines who we are and how we look at things, culture being one of them.
Works Cited:
Martin, J. N., & Nakayama, T. K. (2012). Intercultural communication in contexts (6th ed). Boston, MA: McGraw Hill.
Turnpike Troubadours 7 & 7, (2012). Retrieved January 22, 2013, from: http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/turnpike-troubadours/7-and-7-31810.html
Turnpike Troubadours Before The Devil Knows We're Dead, (2012). Retrieved Januray 22, 2013, from: http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/turnpike-troubadours/7-and-7-31810.html
Turnpike Troubadours Gin Smoke Lies, (2012) Retrieved January 22, 2013, from: http://www.cowboylyrics.com/tabs/turnpike-troubadours/gin-smoke-lies-17848.html
Turnpike Troubadours Long Hot Summer Days, (2012). Retreived January 22, 2013, from: http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/turnpike-troubadours/long-hot-summer-day-31820.html

I agree with your comment in the beginning about starting the blog. I also thought it would be fairly easy to describe what music means to us as individuals however I found it rather difficult to start. In the end it wasn't horrible by any means, but it definitely takes some thought.
ReplyDeleteCulture is indeed a very complicated thing to define. I've never really tried to define it before until this class. Music is hard to explain, because emotions are hard to explain. I loved reading this post, and truly connected to what you've said.
ReplyDeleteCheers!
Great work with the blog! I liked your inclusion of the videos. Also I thought your final paragraph was spot on. Great job!
ReplyDelete