Monday, March 11, 2013

Cultural Report #4 - Helen



I read the article focusing on the refugees student need for assistance in English academics. I have a very hard-line approach to this subject that may seem cold hearted to some.  In the article, LPS has already partnered with local community agencies to assist both refugees and immigrants with before/after school programs to assist with academics. This is a step above and beyond and I applaud them for taking the time to establish such programs to cater to the community. However, it strikes me as odd that these programs focus on immigrants and refugees instead of all school age children.

Maybe in our societies struggle for equality we put on the baby gloves, but I am willing to call it as I see it. Not just ESL students need assistance with English. Vanderbilt University ( states that when parents are involved with the student’s homework, the student is more likely to succeed. This particular article made it sound as if this study was completed for the sole purpose of bringing attention to first generation refugees struggle with learning English and how it affects their children’s academics. Generally speaking, any parent who is involved in their children’s academics will more likely push them to succeed. Lincoln has provided ESL classes free or charge in many community centers (Myers) and so it is the responsibility of the parents to learn English if they wish to assist their children in school as well as increase their chances of employment.



I firmly believe that assisting people with major life transitions is kind, helpful and needed. However, I do not feel it is necessary to create additional opportunities for any cultural group. For instance, if you do not speak English, you may have trouble finding a job in our American workforce. Does their struggle with English mean that refugees or immigrants should get an opportunity at a job before any of the other countless Americans’s searching for work? No, I don’t believe so. 

The students in this article use the available resources to succeed at school: dictionaries, libraries, and teachers. They are doing everything they should to succeed in the school system. These are the same steps that every American uses, whether an immigrant or not. If you have having trouble in classes and require additional help do what the rest of us do, form a study group or hire a tutor. To me, an American is an American we all should share the same benefits and restrictions.

Works Cited 
 

Erin Myers, Lincoln community home to refugees from around the world, NewsNet Nebraska,http://cojmc.webfactional.com/2011/12/05/lincoln-community-home-to-refugees-from-around-the-world/, Retrieved March 8th 2013.

Lincoln's refugee students find language barriers when doing homework, http://journalstar.com/lifestyles/family/lincoln-s-refugee-students-find-language-barriers-when-doing-homework/article_4fbd65f1-c12e-5702-90cd-1321dfda5257.html, Retrieved March 8th 2013.

School Board Photo, http://www.futurity.org/tag/minorities/, Retrieved March 8th 2013. 

Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross featuring Karen O. Lyrics, Immigrant Song, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQtXsp4tIbw, Retrieved March 8th 2013.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.