Friday, March 8, 2013

Caps Blog #4

Everyone has their own preference of TV shows.  For me, I enjoy a TV show with lots of drama and suspense.  With my interest in TV shows that fit these criteria, the CAPs topic I chose was the Pop Culture.  The TV show I chose to analyze for the Pop Culture CAPs is How I Met Your Mother.  Because the TV Show has a new episode every week, I went to me Netflix account and watched seven random episodes of my favorite TV Show.


While watching How I Met Your Mother, I was logging information on: the number of ethnic groups, what roles they played, what roles they played, good vs. bad roles, women roles, and how they relate to stereotypes.  From the episodes I watched there was a lebanese woman, Brooklynese, Indo-Aryan taxi driver, Canadian, Chinese.  The roles of the Lebanese woman, Indo-Aryan taxi driver and Chinese are definitely the minor roles of the shows.  The Lebanese woman is simply a woman that the main character, Ted, hits on at the bar and has a boyfriend.  The Indo-Aryan, a person for Bangledesh, is simply a taxi driver and limo driver; another minor part in the TV show.  The Chinese people are a couple of people that another one of the main characters, Barney, met in Atlantic City and randomly started talking to them.  It is later known that he has been Atlantic City many times and is an avid gambler, hence the Chinese people interacting with him.  The Brooklynese and Canadian all are the main characters and play major roles in the TV Show.  Ted, Barney, Lilly, and Marshall are the Brooklynese people meaning they are from New York City/Brooklyn area.  The other main character is Robin, the Canadian.  Barney is the debatable bad person in the show, because he always seems to get the gang into trouble by wanted to go out and be Legendary, his catch phrase.  The TV Show is just about five friends and their lives as adults.

Woman play a important role in the show because there are so many different woman in the show.  The reason Ted, the narrator of the show, is telling these stories about their adult lives is because he is getting to the point in which he met is wife.  There are plenty, plenty of women in the show.  As a matter of fact, there is probably a new woman in every episode.  These woman play the role of Ted or Barney's girlfriend or random hookup, either or.  In Lilly's case, she is married to Marshall and she also could be considered a bad guy or girl.  She left Marshall to go to San Francisco for six months leaving Marshall an emotional wreck.  She also helps out with Ted's relationships, making here also a good person.  Robin is another female main character.  She is a news anchor and is one of Ted's longest lasting relationships. 

The only main confirmation of stereotypes in the shows I watched Robin as a Canadian have been portrayed to be true.  Like Canadians being scared of the dark.  There is a moment Robin is at a bar with a bunch of Canadians and Marshall attempts to be the funny guy and all the people at the bar go bananas.  As Brooklynese people, there is the stereotype of them being crazy people that speak funny.  The main characters aren't crazy and the dont have any Brooklyn or New York accent.


https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source...- Photo of the main characters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_groups- Ethnic Group classification

2 comments:

  1. Love the show, and spot on with the blog.. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great show, I just wish they would go ahead and solve the mother mystery. I hear that they have just one more season to go.
    Also, make sure you are discussing the blog prompt. This blog post is perfect for the blog that is due with this current learning unit, but not with what was asked for this blog.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.