Wednesday, March 27, 2013

CAPS #5 - NCIS


 
            Martin and Nakayama explain that “Pop culture assists in the creation and reinforcement of stereotypes” (2012).  Today as Americans we are surrounded by popular culture whether we realize it or not.  Whether it is the advertisement we see, the music we listen to, the shows we watch, or the magazines we read pop culture constantly surrounds our everyday lives.  Due to this overwhelming wealth of information it is clearly evident why Martin and Nakayama assert that “The complexity of popular culture is often overlooked” (2012).  

            For this blog, I watched a few episodes of one of my favorite TV shows, NCIS, or Naval Criminal Investigative Service for those who don’t watch it. This investigative police drama is full of stereotypes through the episodes I consumed before writing this blog.  There are three cultural stereotypes that I depicted: the idea that coworkers are your family, men are supervisors and managers in the show, and the cultural stereotype that a crime is solved in 60 minutes. 

            The first stereotype was the idea that your coworkers are your family.  In the show the tight knit group is always interacting.  Whether is the night or day, weekday or weekend they always seem to be together.  Though this may be the case on television, I believe this to be a stereotype because most workers will be with their coworkers for about 40 hours a week and at home for the remaining hours. 

            The second cultural stereotype in this show is the idea that men are always the supervisors and managers.  Starting from the bottom there is the most senior agent who is a male, the special agent in charge again a male, the director of NCIS who is a male, and his boss the secretary of the Navy a male as well.  I believe this to be a cultural stereotype because this is not always the fact in a real life setting.  The truth is females also hold these high ranking positions, yet on the show at the moment, there isn’t a female supervisor. 

            The final cultural stereotype that I deciphered was the idea that a crime is solved in 60 minutes or less.  This is a common phenomenon that the general public believes to be true because they see it on TV.  When it comes to real life people may ask questions why it takes a long time to solve a crime when in fact it may only be a few days.  The idea that a crime occurs and is solved within one TV episode is a growing cultural stereotype that affects many more people than we may presume. 

            I think this experience of looking more in depth into this TV show gave me an opportunity to not only watch a few more episodes but really to analyze the crime drama from a different perspective than simply watching it for enjoyment.  It is hard to say how much insight I may have received from this real life experience, however; I can argue that I may watch the show with a different mindset in the future.  I believe that realizing and understanding the cultural stereotype concepts that I pointed out are important not only from an academic perspective but also from a general population perspective on society and crime.  Through more people being educated about the stereotypes the better off everyone will be avoiding the stereotype and creating equality for everyone.

 


References

Martin, J.N., & Nakayama, T.K. (2012). Intercultural communication in contexts (6th ed.). Boston, MA: McGraw Hill.

 

JTProductionsYT. (September 26, 2012). NCIS: Season 10 Official Opening Theme Song.             Retrieved from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz6CMJeAGlU 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. When I read the stereotype "crime is solved in 60 minutes" I totally laughed! I have never thought of it that way, but it is SO true! In our society we want immediate satisfaction, hence we think all murders, kidnappings, or even the occasional car jacking can be solved in a matter of minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NCIS is one of my favorite shows too! I agree with Chanda that we do often want immediate satisfaction and the crime is solved in 60 minutes is a good stereotype to point out. I think it is very apparent that they are like a family and not just coworkers. I like that you point out the difference between just watching the show and actually analyzing all of the different culture groups involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you put coworkers being like family is a stereotype. It actually made me chuckle a little bit. When I was in the military, we had strong bonds, we trusted, but not necessarily liked each other. At my current job, I don't go to company function because I already see these people 40 hours a week, why do I want to see them on my time off too? Work relationships will not equal family ones. Family we have whether we like them or not, we're stuck with them, we watch out for them or avoid them, but in an emergency you always show up to help them. Work friends are passing friends, unless you choose to make a stronger bond with them. Then in many cases they can become a surrogate family minus all of the dysfunction that normal families have. You chose those people, they think like you do, you get along, and you trust each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gender roles are particularly interesting within pop culture as they define so much of how we treat people and how society as a whole is shaped. I'm glad you mentioned the male importance aspect and I think that as women become increasingly more important in the work place this portrayal may shift or at least be slightly more equal.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.