Thursday, March 7, 2013

Blog #4 Migrant-Host Relationships

Blog # 4
            After reading the articles provided for this blog post, I was quite enlightened by the refugee population that exists here in Lincoln.  I have always known that this population exists from other courses I have taken at UNL but I have not realized to what extent.  One interesting similarity between the textbook and the articles written that interests me is the idea of the migrant-host relationship.  “Migrant-host relationships exist in multiple tensions” (Martin & Nakayama, 2012).  What I believe this means is this relationship can exist in terms of assimilation, separation, or integration as these terms are defined by Martin and Nakayama.  What is most interesting about this however is that these individuals may not only fall into these categories, but may change their relationship based on the location where they are living. 
            There are numerous examples from the news stories that explain the concept of migrant-host relationships. The topic that stood out to me most was that of the language barrier. In two of the articles the refugees spoke of learning English is the hardest part of being a refugee in America; and Lincoln in particular.  Martin and Nakayama describe “Migrants want to cherish and retain their own culture as well as value their host culture” (2012). I can sense this is a balancing effort through both retaining their native tongue while also learning English in order to survive.
            In the article that Smith writes, Lincoln Refugee find Empathy as Strife Hits Congo, there is a clear-cut specific example of one of the factors that makes up migrant-host relationships: integration.  Smith’s interviewee, Idex Kusukika, explains “The most difficult thing is to be integrated … When people come, we have many problems” (2011). Clearly this is a factor of integration. This refugee and many others I am sure want to both assimilate and be included in their new culture while also retaining important values and traditions.
            Finally, an intercultural communication perspective can help inform the process of refugee resettlement in Nebraska and intercultural transitions overall.  I believe this is completed in two ways.  First of all, citizens of the host nation can be more informed on refugee resettlement.  This can be done by educating those who may be otherwise unaware of refugees’ situations.  The second way where an intercultural communication perspective can help inform the process of refugee resettlement is by educating the refugees of the resources available to them. Along with this, citizens of the host nation can also help the refugees learn the English language. According to one refugee “The most important part of getting a job is learning the language” (Myers, 2011). If we, as citizens of the host nation, are able to help the refugees learn English, they will be more able to find a job to be able to support themselves and their family.








References
Martin, J.N., & Nakayama, T.K. (2012). Intercultural communication in contexts (6th ed.). Boston,      MA: McGraw Hill.
Myers, E. (December 5, 2011) Lincoln Community Home to Refugees from Around the World.  NewsNetNebraska. Retrieved from: http://www.newsnetnebraska.org/news/lincoln-community-home-to-refugees-from-around-the-world/
Smith, M. (2011, December 11). Lincoln Refugee Find Empathy as Strife Hits Congo. Lincoln       Journal Star. Retrieved from: http://journalstar.com/news/local/lincoln-refugee-finds-empathy-as-strife-hits-congo/article_6f011d2a-fe13-5d11-bbee-b5de6f5aba59.html 
NETnebraska. (February 5, 2010) Paths of the Displaced – Nebraska Stories. Retrieved from:             http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybhp7dfmvk8    

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your perspective on this topic! I like how we can all see things from different perspectives even though we read the same articles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME video! What a great find! I find putting faces to an issue always makes it seem more real, and makes you feel like you can actually make a difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Great video. I really enjoyed watching it. This is really what I'm looking for with your Cultural Reporter videos. Highlight these stories and narratives with photos, interviews, narration, etc.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.