Thursday, March 7, 2013

Concept Application Blog


            As I explained in my previous cultural reporter blog, I am examining the Mexican-American culture specifically here in Lincoln.  One way that I will be observing and inspecting this culture is through the lens of code switching.  Martin and Nakayama explain that code switching is “A technical term in communication that refers to the phenomenon of changing languages, dialects, or even accents” (2012). They also conclude that “People code switch for several reasons: to accommodate the other speakers, to avoid accommodating others, or to express another aspect of their cultural identity” (2012).  The way in which I understand code switching to be defined is the manner where individuals of various cultures and their languages change in order to be incorporated or separated.  What this means in my eyes is that people will either change to the culture and language they are surrounded in or they will retain their native tongue and traditions.  O’Neal and Ringler describe code switching as “Consciously using a specific linguistic variety, helps people to communicate appropriately both socially and culturally” (2010).  This definition is similar to Martin and Nakayama’s because it includes both change in tradition as well as cultural modifications.

            The concept of code switching is of vital importance within language and intercultural communication.  This concept can be used in intercultural communication in various ways.  The first and principal way that code switching can be used in intercultural communication is through identifying what effect language has on the setting in which a person lives and is associated with. Whether the individual incorporates the new language or sticks to tradition with their first language is a sign that shapes the rest of their life.  Along with this, intercultural communication can be used as a social structure or portion of society an individual identifies with most.  Does the individual consider themselves Mexican, Mexican-American, or simply American is a question I intend to ask in my research.  Similarly code switching can be used to discover if the individual considers themselves apart of the majority or minority and how this may affect other aspects of their life.     
 

            The concept of code switching can be used to understand my cultural group of interest. First of all, code switching can be used to explain the variances in language abilities of the older versus younger generations.  This is one area that I am very interested in exploring within my primary research. I plan on researching this by interviewing Mexican-Americans that are young as well as those who would be included in the older generation.  Weston describe in relation to young versus older individuals that “Monolingual or near-monolingual Spanish usage dominates for all participants in their 60s and above, the younger generations demonstrate a progressively greater breadth of language choice and code-switching patterns” (2013).  I am interested in finding out if this relationship is similar in the research that I conduct. 

            Another form in which code switching could be used in intercultural communication is the idea of social involvement and position.  This is a second area that I would like to explore in my research.  This research will be conducted through both interviews of the Mexican-American population, as well as through observation in populations where Mexican-Americans congregate.  Bhatt concludes that “Code-switching, as linguistic hybridity, is a third space where social actors (re-)position themselves with regard to new community-practices of speaking, reading, and writing. It is in this space that actors are presumed to have the capacity to synthesize, to transform: code-switching serves as a visible marker of this transformation” (2008). What this means is social position can be observed through how an individual changes their language, dialect, or accent. This is a factor that I will be investigating through my research. The totality of these facts will be investigated thoroughly through research to include interviews and observations in a goal to find out more about the Mexican-American culture.        

           
 
 
 
 
This was a video I found that correlated well with the topic I am discussing in this blog.  Although the languages are different in the video, the concept in relation to English and Spanish is quite similar and very interesting.

References

 

Bhatt, R. (April, 2008) In other words: Language mixing, identity representations, and third space.             Academic Search Premier, Vol. 12. Retrieved from: http://0-       web.ebscohost.com.library.unl.edu/ehost/detail?vid=5&sid=9b669d3b-8685-4fe3-8287-b339f0ebb77b%40sessionmgr14&hid=14&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=aph&AN=31573890      

 

Martin, J.N., & Nakayama, T.K. (2012). Intercultural communication in contexts (6th ed.). Boston, MA: McGraw Hill.

 

O’Neal, D. & Ringler, M. (April, 2010). Broadening Our View of Linguistic Diversity. Academic Search      Premier, Vol. 91. Retrieved from: http://0-web.ebscohost.com.library.unl.edu/ehost/detail?vid=4&sid=028f55e7-e74d-48c1-8d2e-3c9ae57fabb8%40sessionmgr15&hid=14&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=aph&AN=48980299  

 

Weston, Daniel. (February, 2013) Code Switching Variation in Gibraltar. Academic Search Premier, Vol. 17. Retrieved from: http://0-web.ebscohost.com.library.unl.edu/ehost/detail?sid=64b57bbd-2fda- 44d4-830d-682cb27048b5%40sessionmgr11&vid=1&hid=14&bdata=JnNpdGU9                     
ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=aph&AN=85428828    

 

Worldfocusonline. (February 11, 2009) Indigenous Languages Revive and Thrive in Mexico. Retrieved       from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Eiv-pnRVr4      
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.