
The film that I chose to watch for this blog post was Outsourced. I decided to watch this movie because I wanted to watch a movie I had never seen before and this seemed the most interesting to me. An interpretive approach is defined as “an approach to intercultural communication that aims to understand and describe human behavior within specific cultural groups” (Martin & Nakayama, 2012). The cultural patterns that I found from the interpretive perspective while watching this movie were religion, class, and ethnicity.
I found a lot of religious cultural
patterns while watching this movie. The
first way I saw religion was when the streets were empty at first but they were
filled with many different colors.
Later, we found out that this was because it was the celebration of
color, Holi, which is celebrated by Hindus (Gorai & Jeffcoat, 2006). At first, the main character Todd didn’t like
this at all, but he ended up having a lot of fun throwing different colors at
other people (Gorai & Jeffcoat, 2006).
A video is posted below if you want to see what the celebration of
color, Holi, looks like (Ralsen, 2009). Another
way I found religion was in this movie was because the goddess of destruction,
Kali, was all over India and Todd didn’t understand why the goddess of
destruction would be found so many places, but later he learned that this was
so that it would end one cycle so a new one could begin (Gorai & Jeffcoat,
2006).
The second pattern I found was
class. I found class because it was very
evident that there was a big difference between the lower class and the upper
class. The house that Todd stayed at was
really nice, but when he looked over the wall to the other side all he could
see was slums (Gorai & Jeffcoat, 2006).
Todd and other people in the movie did give those people in the slums
food, but they definitely had different lifestyles (Gorai & Jeffcoat, 2006).
The last pattern I found was
ethnicity. The first place I found this was when Todd first gets to India, and
he gets asked if he’s married or has a girlfriend and Todd responds that him
and his girlfriend broke up because he didn’t want to start a family yet. The lady that was talking to him responds,
“You’re old enough to be a grandfather”( Gorai & Jeffcoat, 2006). I thought
this was funny because it is such a different culture in India than it is in
the United States. This has to do with
ethnicity because ethnicity has to do with traditions, customs, values, and
behaviors (Martin & Nakayama, 2012).
Another way that I found ethnicity was when some of the people in India
were surprised that Todd didn’t live with his parents, or even see them at least
once a week (Gorai & Jeffcoat, 2006).
This interpretive approach reveals
the cultural patterns that were found in different cultural groups. This approach fails to address the limitation
that researchers are often outsiders to the communities under investigation, so
this might not represent the actual communication styles of the people of that
community (Martin & Nakayama, 2012).
This was the case in the movie because the main character Todd was an
outsider so the other people in the movie might not have been doing their
natural communication when he was around. Moving forward, this shows us that the interpretive approach helps us learn, but it does also have its limitations so we should look at different ways of looking at things also.
Works Cited
Gorai, T. (Producer), &
Jeffcoat, J. (Director). (2006). Outsourced (Motion Picture). United
States: ShadowCatcher Entertainment.
Martin, J., & Nakayama, T. (2012). Intercultural
communication in contexts. (6th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
Ralsen, S. (2009, March 15). Holi festival india.
Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPTlfa5LYYE
I have never heard of the Holi festival before, it seems to be a pretty interesting "Holi-day" All bad humor aside, that is a very interesting and fun looking way of expressing your religion.
ReplyDeleteAs someone who has been in slums and seen the class system at work in India, these are extremely important cultural patterns to point out. Two of my friends worked on a story called "High Rise Help" during our photojournalism project. They focused on the extremes in the class system, the culture of getting married early and the challenges that these people face. You can see the video here if you want: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1oSZtkBa4c
ReplyDeleteThanks for High Rise Help video. This is a great example of what I'm looking for in terms of the cultural reporter video.
DeleteIndian culture is certainly very interesting to me. There is no way in my lifetime I could see all of the cultures present in India. It is always interesting to see something new about this intriguing country.
ReplyDeleteGreat film, it's a shame that the tv show was a bit of a let down. I love that you discussed the Holi festival. It's one of my favorite parts of the film and something that I really want to do in real life.
ReplyDelete