UNL Haters is a site I have heard about many times, but this
is the first time I have had the chance to look at it. I didn’t realize that were so many different
examples of hate such as this happening right here at UNL. I think it is a good concept because people
need to stop saying such ignorant things, but I also think this site might hurt
in the long run. For example, some
people on this site aren’t racist. I
think it would be a good idea to tell these people that they are being
ignorant, instead of exposing them to the world. I understand that what they are saying is
wrong, but I think there could be a better way to go about this.
This blog really brings to light some of the issues that are
happening here at UNL. Some of the posts
were people criticizing their own religion or sex. This surprised me because I thought I would
only see posts about people criticizing groups that they weren’t apart of. It’s sad that people can hate on people from
other groups, let alone people from their own group.
I’ve been ignorant about hate being around campus. I haven’t noticed it as much as I
should. When people say things that I
know are putting down a different group, I usually don’t say anything. This is
the wrong approach to have. I should be
stopping these people by telling them that what they are saying is hurting
others.

I think that UNL Haters and Westboro Baptist Church have to
do with social position. The people that
are saying such awful things about different groups are doing so because they
think that they have more power in their social position. Social positions are defined as, “the places
from which people speak that are social constructed and thus embedded with
assumptions about gender, race, class, age, social roles, sexuality, and so on”
(Martin & Nakayama, 2012, p. 245).
Moving forward, I think that everyone should work on not being
so ignorant. UNL Haters is a step in the
right direction with trying to get the hate off of campus, but I think that
maybe it could be changed so that not every single person is exposed forever as
being a “UNL Hater.” I think that we
should all try to stop this kind of talk when we hear it around campus so that
we can create a truly respectful campus.
Works Cited
Brand, R. (2012, November 27). Official Video: Russell Brand Interviews Westboro Baptist Church. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBA6qlHW8po
Martin, J., & Nakayama, T. (2012). Intercultural communication in contexts. (6th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
Love the inclusion of the Russell Brand clip!
ReplyDelete