The film depicts a number of cultural patterns throughout it. The first one that I am going to discuss deals with the difficulty between communicating between two different cultures speaking two different languages. As I mentioned earlier, Murray is in Tokyo to do an advertisement for a whiskey company. During the photo shoot there is a lot of uncertainty on Murray's side as to what the photographer wants him to do. Murray has a translator with him during the photo shoot, but there is still a lot of confusion which eventually leads to frustration on Murray's part. When the translator tells Murray what the director is saying, Murray thinks the translator is not telling him everything that the director had said and this seems to add to the confusion and frustration a little bit more. Eventually though, Murray is able to figure out what is wanted by the photographer and the photo shoot is a success. I have included the particular scene that I am referring to below to give a better understanding of the cultural miscommunication that I am trying to describe.
The next cultural pattern I noticed in the movie has to deal with sex. In one scene of the movie, Murray is in his hotel room when there is a knock at the door. He goes to answer it to find a Chinese woman standing there saying someone had sent her. She starts off by offering Murray a "massage." He denies the massage, but the woman tries again by trying to get Murray to rip her stockings. But, once again because of communication issues he cannot understand what she is trying to say. The scene goes on and she continues to seduce Murray to no avail. The scene of this movie is meant to be funny, and in the situation, it is kind of comical, but it brings up the point of sex between different cultures. In the scene Murray seems to be uncomfortable with the ways the woman is trying to seduce him. Different cultures have different fantasies and ways of seducing the opposite sex.
I included the scene I described in my previous paragraph. I included it to give you a sense of what I was trying to say and how cultures and communication can affect the seduction process. :)
Again, I included the particular scene that I am trying to describe to you.
After watching this movie through the lens of cultural analyzation, I picked up on a lot of different things that I normally would have. I looked at this movie through, as our textbook describes, an interpretive approach. Where I looked to "understand and describe human behavior within specified cultural groups based on human experience and behavior" (Martin & Nakayama, 2012, pp. 60). There is an array of cultures that people judge and analyze based on what they see on TV. I hate to bad mouth a Bill Murray movie, but, in my opinion, this movie does not paint a very good picture of the Japanese culture. Like I said, if I would have been watching this movie out of my own ambition, I never would have noticed the minor things about the Japanese culture I did. But, in certain ways, this movie paints the Japanese culture in a bad light. Or, maybe I am just over analyzing the situation...I tend to do that from time to time.
To wrap things up, cultural patterns are going to differ between different countries. This fact is what makes this world the place it is. Wherever we go on this planet, there are going to be different ways of living and different habits..that is what makes this world such a great and interesting place. Mahatama Gandhi said, "A nation's culture resides in the hearts and in the soul of its people", a country is defined by it's people and the way they live their life and the way people live their life is defined by their culture and its patterns.
References:
Bill Murray "You're Awesome" Picture. Retreived 2-6-2013:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.thezooom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Bill-Murray-Youre-Awesome-460x577.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thezooom.com/language/english/page/53/&h=577&w=460&sz=55&tbnid=fhDHqNdbJVtKuM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=72&zoom=1&usg=__E1Q4z48XLzTiZm_NOUnBK--PPt8=&docid=NCGnx5Tkpdej1M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=wtMSUcGRK7Cl2AWr0IHgDg&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQ9QEwAQ&dur=205
Does It Get Easier? - Lost in Translation (8/10) Movie CLIP HD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNK7N3AwVFQ
Lost In Translation (2/10) Movie CLIP - Lip My Stockings! (2003) HD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPQ6VQzuyxU&list=PLF582B66D8845E3CF
Martin, J.N. & Nakayame, T.K. (2012). Intercultrual Communication in Contexts (6th ed.) Boston, MA: McGraw Hll.
Mahatma Gandhi Culture Quote. Retrieved 2-6-2013:
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/mahatmagan160857.html
Suntory Time! - Lost in Translation (1/10) Movie Clip (2003) HD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiQnH450hPM&list=PLF582B66D8845E3CF
This has nothing to do with the blog....I am just a huge Bill Murray fan. :)

I like how you did give the summary about the film and also included many clips of the movie. It makes sense more with this background since I have never seen the film.
ReplyDeleteThis is one of my favorite movies! I think you did a fantastic job incorporating the concepts that we're learning to the film. Bill Murray is the man.
ReplyDeleteThis blog is awesome:) Great detail in terms of cultural patterns and using clips from the movie to understand these themes. I can relate to your comments about over analyzing. I think that's one of the benefits to an interpretive approach is that you can really start to see things and just understand both the positive and negative sides to cultural representations via pop culture.
ReplyDelete