Thursday, February 21, 2013

Blog #3- "That's So Gay!"

     "That's so gay!"
     I don't know how many times in my life I have cringed when I have heard one of my friends or relatives use that phrase to describe something they don't like or aren't happy about. One of my best friends is extremely guilty of this (especially when she comes back from weekends spent with her boyfriend and his friends). She will be complaining about an assignment or group project when the phrase "That's so gay!" will be interjected into the sentence. Lately I have become tired of hearing it and become defensive and ask "Why do you say that is gay?" "Or what makes you think that is gay?". She is a journalism student and has had multiple internships with large newspapers and magazines from around the country and she can't find a better word then "gay" to describe an assignment or situation she doesn't agree to? Most of the time her response to this is that "it just came out". But why in our society today do people use labels in such negative ways, or to describe things they don't enjoy and think that it is okay?


     Wanda Sykes is a comedian, but she is an African American who is also gay. She uses her humor and acts not only for laughs, but to bring awareness to cultural groups and labeling. Certain types of humor like some examples displayed on the UNL Hater's Tumbler, are an example of humor at the expense of another. "These different uses of language communicate different things to their culturally disparate audiences. As they also demonstrate, it is not easy to interpret language use from other people's perspective" (Martin & Nakayama, 2012, pp. 238).

     I feel as though there are two ways individuals go about using racial slurs or labels in diminutive ways. The first is that unfortunately, it has become part of our everyday society. The terms "That's so gay" or "He lives in the ghetto" roll off of peoples tongues too easily. The other way is like that demonstrated on the UNL Hater's Tumbler, and that of "humor". How many of those posts and tweets were put out into cyberspace to give friends a laugh and to receive a few likes, comments, and retweets? They said it to make themselves feel superior.
     I believe that we all need to become more responsible about what we say and our actions towards other cultural groups. And pass it on. Don't just let it roll off your back when a friend starts using racial slurs, call them out on it and keep them in check. In my opinion, our society needs more people to stand up for what they know is right and hopefully start spreading understanding across cultures.


References:

HBO. (2010, February 1). Wanda Sykes: I'ma Be Me - Gay vs. Black (HBO) [Video file]. Retrieved from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_wWJ-_4uSY


Martin, J. N., & Nakayama, T. K. (2012). Intercultural communication in contexts (6th ed). Boston,   MA: McGraw Hill.

Stereotypes Picture. Retrieved February 21, 2013, from: http://ilovefunnypics.com/be-mindful-about-stereotypes/
Stop Being Afraid Picture. Retrieved February 21, 2013, from: http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/stop%20being%20afraid

6 comments:

  1. I really like your last paragraph and agree with it. I think if we started calling people out for the things they say, it might go a long way in stopping the hate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Laura. I think your final paragraph is spot on. It's good advice and something that I really need to make a more concerted effort to do. It's so tough with friends and family when really they should be the easiest people to confront.

      Delete
  2. I like all the various forms of media and references that you used. It made your blog very interesting to read and think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice introduction. "That's so gay" is a common phrase I hear from friends and they always say "it just happens". I agree that it is important that we keep our friends in check and make sure to be outward about the problem with it. If we continue to point it out and make them realize how it is wrong and offensive to us it can lead to them being more aware as well. We need to clearly show our point of view and the impacts along with these inappropriate sayings and language choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your last picture, because you're right stereotypes can be so wrong. I also liked how you brought up the term "that's so gay." I hear this all of the time and have never said anything to people to make it stop, but I really should. It is such an offensive saying and people don't realize how much sayings such as that can hurt people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the saying "That' so Gay" could be taken rudely. I have never heard someone say "That's so straight!", so it makes you wonder why one thing is acceptable and another is not. I recently did a mini experiment with my coworkers on stereotypes. I made a couple of comments I said "All White people look the same. C'mon we're all white", which they thought was funny. Then a couple hours later I said "All Asian people look the same", which was met by evil looks. I explained to them the experiment and we discussed why it is acceptable for some stereotypes to be said and not others. Fact is, we should skip them all together, thats the best way to respect everyone.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.