Friday, February 8, 2013

Introducing the Mexican Culture


        

   
           What is culture? This is a simple yet incredibly complex question. Martin and Nakayama have defined culture as “learned patterns of behavior and attitudes shared by a group of people” (2013). However, this definition is just the opinion of two authors and by no means is it a universal definition.  Essentially culture has varying definitions depending on who is defining it.  In my opinion there isn’t one set way to define culture because cultures are always changing, adapting, and may be too limiting on including various ideas.


            The culture that I will be studying for the remainder of the semester is Mexican Americans who both identify themselves as Mexicans and Mexican Americans that live in Nebraska.  I choose this group for a variety of reasons.  First of all, and possibly most importantly for the projects upcoming, is the fact that this culture is in my area here in Lincoln.  I will be able to go into the community and research the proper people to complete the tasks required.  Second, I chose this culture because I have taken Spanish courses in the past and the Mexican culture is very interesting to me.  Finally, I chose to be specific with my culture and limited it Mexicans living in Nebraska because I believe that a regional identity would interrupt the culture if the scope was broadened. What I mean is Mexicans in New York may have different views than those here in Nebraska, and although these views may be beneficial, for the purpose of our research I feel it is better to stick with this culture here in Nebraska.
            Mexicans and Mexican Americans are a culture for a few reasons.  First of all they are a national identity but they are also a racial and ethnic identity. Joanna Kaftan argues in her article National Identity During Periods of Controversy “Ordinary people have strong, long-standing opinions about the future of the nation and national identity and will express their opinions when an outlet is provided to them” (2013). I believe that people will not only express their opinions in times of hardship but also in midst of success.  This will be something I hone in on as I conduct my research in the Mexican community. 
            The Mexican culture is also a culture because it is an ethnic identity.  Martin and Nakayama describe an ethnic identity as “A sense of belonging to a particular group and knowing something about the shared experience of the group” (2013). Clearly based on this definition the Mexican culture is in fact a culture.  The people in this group belong to it, share ideas and common values, as well as share a common language.
            I plan to study this group via the interpretive method for the remainder of the semester. The main way in which I will conduct my research is field studies.  Since the goal of the interpretive method is to “understand and describe human behavior” (Martin and Nakayama 2013), I think it is fitting that field studies are conducted. The main field studies I want to conduct are interviews since this will give me the best understanding of the knowledge I wish to attain.  I have connections to a few groups at UNL where I could begin these interviews.  The other way I want to conduct my field studies is by observing this culture.  Whether it is in the community or through connections at organizations, I think observing the culture will play a vital role because I can sit back and listen without having to engage in conversation.  Along with these field studies I would also like to include a small amount of research based on text.  I think this can adequately supplement the other material I will manage.
            In the end I hope to learn more about this unique culture.  I will strive to conduct the best research possible to not only complete the projects but enhance my intercultural communication.  





References
Martin, J.N., & Nakayama, T.K. (2012). Intercultural communication in contexts (6th ed).  
            Boston, MA: Mcgraw Hill

Kaftan, J. (January 2013). National Identity During Periods of Controversy. Nations & Nationalism. Retrieved from: http://0-  web.ebscohost.com.library.unl.edu/ehost/detail?vid=3&sid=42cf3cba-c588-431e-bc55-0534953f067e%40sessionmgr10&hid=22&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=aph&AN=85017744     

Bauchi. (May 26, 2007) Images of Mexican Identity. Retrieved from:           http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VphN7inxlgQ 

Mexicorealestate123. (April 20, 2009) Mexico Culture. Retrieved from:      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-HL6WSncFE 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.