Friday, February 22, 2013

Blog 3 Spencer Schaulis

If you weren't that kid that was taking his high school Spanish class thinking "why can't they just learn English", I definitely made up for you.  I thought it wasn't necessary for me to learn a language because there had been a wave of that language beginning to be spoken in my country, thinking they should have to learn English if they want to live in my country.  Maybe stubborn and cruel, but its what I thought should be the policy.  Reading the Language Politics and Policies section in our book made me realize that there are many countries out there that have two official languages, although the United States of America is not one of them.  For example, Canada has its official languages listed as English and French.  It could also vary for each state as Hawai'i has the official languages of Hawaiian and English.  Which brings up the reading from our book and language policies.  Language policies are laws or customs that determine when and where which language will be spoken.  Language polices often emerge from the politics of the language use, English being the most popular in the world.

Although the US has an official language of English, you constantly hear people speaking different languages when having a night on the town or picking up your groceries.  Just because the official language of one country is English it doesn't mean that all must know English, although it is highly suggested.  It simply means that documents made through the government will be printed off in English or whatever the official language to that specific country is.  If I was to move to Mexico and wanted to get my drivers license, I would have to fill out the forms in Spanish.  Likewise for people coming from Mexico to the US.  These language policies are enclosed in the politics of class, culture, economics, and ethnicity.  They do not develop because of the quality of the language itself.


Although I didn't really like to learn these specific languages in high school, I did because basically it was required.  But looking back, I feel as if it was the best thing for me.  Job markets favor those who are bilingual and can speak two or more languages.  Reading about language policies made me realize that it is important to know more than one language, even if you aren't completely fluent in any other languages.  After reading this article I have considered going out on my own and attempting to learn a little or a lot of different languages.  After all the constitution states all have the freedom of speech, so why not learn different languages, because different languages are going to be migrating to the US constantly.



Martin, J.N. & Nakayma, T.K. (2012).  Intercultural Communication in Contexts (6th ed.) Boston, MA: McGraw Hill

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=4&gs_ri=psy - Picture 

3 comments:

  1. When I was young, I completely agreed about not wanting to learn another language. I thought it was pointless. But nowadays, I find myself being envious of bilingual school programs. My niece attends a school that integrates Spanish from day one. By the time she gets to high school, she'll be completely bilingual and be better prepared for the future. In the meantime, I struggle with learning basic Spanish now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same perspective in high school and now I realize that learning another language would have been really beneficial, not only for my future but with better communication with others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely relate to your comment about learning a foreign language in high school. I took Latin:) And yeah that's so useful today!
    For the blogs, make sure you are responding to the blog prompts directly. I will post these to the class blog when the learning unit becomes available. Make sure you read the prompt first and use that to construct your response.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.