Intercultural relationships can be found
in many contexts. Most people consider intercultural relationships to be
between individuals of different races or ethnic backgrounds. However different
cultures can be as simple as different ages, gender, social class and region,
along with other diversities. This blog asks us to identify a relationship we
have that pertains to someone of a different culture. My best choice for this
was my dad. Although we are in the same family and are very much alike we are
of different age, gender and background that make us very different people.
Age first off is a dynamic of our
relationship that is very different. With this difference there are benefits
and setbacks. It is known that with age comes wisdom and that is a definitive
benefactor when considering difference. My dad has always been there for me to
give me advice and understanding. I didn’t always take the advice as a young
adult, but I can tell you who was right 99.9% of the time in the end. One
aspect of age that we differ in is communication. My father is more than
willing to answer the phone when someone calls but has very much trouble texting
or understanding new technologies. It was funny at first because he didn’t
understand what the envelope icon at the bottom of his screen meant. Don’t even
think about getting him socially involved with Facebook. He couldn’t keep up
even if he wanted to. Apparently 50 year old men aren’t super into Facebook.
Okay so
he’s not that old, but I would bet money he’d love to have a simple cell phone
like this.
Also another intercultural difference
between us is gender. Because I have a brother I can get along with the
opposite gender perfectly fine. However, like my brother my dad does not take
mean things to heart. If anyone says anything bad about him (most people don’t
cause he’s a pretty stand up guy) he’s got pretty tough skin about it and
doesn’t care. However, being a girl I am a bit more sensitive. So when I come
home from college and my brother and dad make jokes and tell me the freshman
fifteen went straight to my butt, well I take it to heart more seriously than I
should, even though I know they’re joking. They don’t realize the difference in
gender and how we girls interpret jokes about physical appearance.
Researcher Leslie A. Baxter created a
model to explain different dynamics that can make up a relationship (Martin
& Nakayama, 2012, p.398-400). Two of those dynamics that I think apply
to this intercultural relationship are the differences-similarities dialectic
and the static-dynamic dialectic. The differences-similarities dialectic in
summary says that in an intercultural relationship people can get along because
of their similarities and/ or because of their differences. I think this is a
very correct application towards my relationship with my father because in many
ways, such as our personality, we are very similar and get along well. Our
differences are also a benefit. Because of the age difference I get very
helpful advice. The static- dynamic dialectic approach discusses that
relationships are constantly in flux because people and lifestyles are
continuously changing. I find this relative because I lived in Arizona with my
parents for 18 years and then moved away to Nebraska, where I currently live 8
months out of the year. This change was dynamic and of course required some
getting used to for both my parents and me.
There are many aspects that can make up an
intercultural relationship, even ones that normally wouldn’t be thought of as
intercultural. With this assignment we can see that in every relationship there
will be differences and similarities. You don’t notice the small ones between
close friends and family because you are accustomed to it. I think this allowed
us to realize that every person can have a different cultural background from
our own, even if they are very similar in some aspects.
References:
Martin, J. N.,
& Nakayama, T. K. (2012). Intercultural communication in contexts
(6th ed). Boston, MA: McGraw Hill.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.