
The intercultural
relationship that I decided to talk about is the relationship I have with my
brother. I chose to do this relationship
because we are very close, but sometimes it is hard to understand each other because
we are different sexes. Because we are
different sexes, this shows how our relationship is intercultural.
The benefits that
I get from this intercultural relationship go with the benefits that are
mentioned in the book which are acquiring knowledge, breaking stereotypes and
acquiring new skills (Martin & Nakayama, p. 391). The first benefit,
acquiring knowledge, is that I learn more about males by the way he talks and
acts. Another benefit that I get from
this relationship is that it breaks the stereotype that some people have about
males. For example, some people think
that all boys care about is sports and sex.
My relationship with my brother breaks this stereotype completely
because we talk about politics, religion, and many other things that have
nothing to do with either of those topics.
The last benefit that I have gotten from this intercultural relationship
is that it helps me acquire new skills.
He has taught me a lot of things that I wouldn’t have known how to do if
it weren’t for him such as playing poker, throwing a football, and how to
relate to boys in certain ways.
One of the
challenges that our intercultural relationship faces is that he treats me like
a boy sometimes. For example, he will
say something mean as a joke, but I take it to heart. If this were any of his guy friends, they
would just laugh and not care about the mean comment, but because we are
different sexes this makes things difficult.
Another challenge that our relationship faces is that we do different
activities for fun. For example, he
likes to work out and play sports, but I like to just relax and hang out with
friends.
A dialectic that
explains our relationship pretty well is the differences-similarities
dialectic. This explains our
relationship because we are very similar because we grew up in the same
household and have some of the same genes so this helps us to get along. We also have the same beliefs which provides
us with cognitive consistency (Martin & Nakayama, 2012, p. 398). The differences part of this dialectic comes
into play because of our different sexes.
We find each other intriguing because we aren’t a part of the other
person’s culture.
Another dialectic
that explains our relationship is the privilege-disadvantage dialectic. This explains our relationship because since
my brother is older than me and also a male, he might seem himself as being in
a more powerful position. This would
make him privileged and me at a disadvantage.
All relationships
have benefits and challenges, especially intercultural relationships. I think it’s important to find these benefits
and challenges to see how to improve relationships. Moving forward, I hope to talk with my
brother about some of the challenges we face so that we can improve the
relationship we have.
References
Martin, J.N., & Nakayama, T. K. (2012). Intercultural
communication in contexts (6th ed.). Boston, MA: McGraw Hill.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.