I chose to focus my research on Christianity and how their faith affects their lives. Being a spiritual person, and not a religious one I have always been skeptical of religion. To me, religion is an eon long game of telephone, and I feel certain that someone messed up the message along the way. I am amazed that the faith people have in their religions as absolute truths, sources of inspiration and strength. I polled people from different backgrounds, genders, and Christian denominations to see if I could find a commonality. My results will be in my video.
I noticed that my original observations assumed that religion was based on some sense of logic. When I spoke to people about gay marriage, and they explained their strong dislike of the idea. I tried to assert that marriage is a legal matter, not a matter of religion; like the logical person I am. I was then educated by Brenna, a lifelong Christian from a small town outside of Lincoln. She expressed her beliefs with such conviction, I was forced to see things from an illogical point of view. That religious beliefs don't have to make sense. The same inexplicable illogical notion that I use to describe my dislike of the color yellow, is the driving force behind her dislike for gay marriage. It isn't hate, and it also isn't a sense of obligation to the church. Her religion has instilled in her a sense that gay marriage is wrong, but wrong in a way that even she can't articulate. Maybe that feeling is faith. Before this interview I kind of assumed that Christians hated gay people because they were "sinning", but now I see it isn't that simple.
I have learned a lot about faith, about how Christians see people without faith or of different faiths, and I have open my own mind a little further into understanding their motivations. In my mind, a good human being deserves the right to be happy, but religion helps guide people to determine which human beings are good. They believe their religion is the best guide to humanity and use their faith to follow it strictly. I admire their tenacity and also shake my head is shame.
I think, wasn't only a couple hundred years ago we KNEW the world was the center of the universe? or that Pluto WAS a planet?
Works Cited
I worship nature pic, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152684796115487&set=a.322011600486.336513.308223470486&type=1&theater, retrieved 12 April 2013.
Just is Art, http://www.bjorkholmengallery.com/work.php?id=jp, retrieved 12 april 2013.



I think you're being an apologist for the haters here. Do you really think they don't need a reason to systematically oppose the rights of LGBTQ persons? I think they do, minimum, need a reason. A bible passage (of which I'd question the truth, as an atheist) in opposition to non-procreative or non-heterosexual sex is not a reason to deny an entire group of people legal rights.
ReplyDeleteRemember- it is possible to understand why "Christians" support anti-gay policies, but that does not mean you have to accept is as a valid stance. Because it isn't a valid stance.
As I said, that interview opened my eyes to the fact the Christians as a whole do not hate gay people, they support policies because of a moral code given to them through their religion. I am intrigued by their faith, but in no way have applauded their beliefs. The blog does state that I believe good humans deserve happiness no matter their circumstances. I have no intention of apologizing for anyone. Each person must take responsibility for their own actions, and I stand by my analysis. Christian faith is powerful and amazing, but human beings are flawed.
ReplyDeleteI really like the neutral stance on this topic clearly labeled by your last sentence: "I think, wasn't only a couple hundred years ago we KNEW the world was the center of the universe? or that Pluto WAS a planet?" Great way to put it so no one would jump down your throat... oh wait...
ReplyDelete